The tender age of 5 to 8 years is probably the right time to get kids excited about outdoor activities such as camping. This is also the age when kids develop comprehension skills, so what better way to get them started on that than through books on outdoor activities and camping. In this article we look at some of the best camping books for young kids between the age group of 5 and 8 years. This article is in continuation of our articles on Best camping guides for beginners, which was targeted at adults and teenagers, and best camping books for pre-teen kids, which was targeted at kids in the age group of 9-13 years. So which are the best camping books for young kids? Keep reading to find out.
Since children at the age of 5 to 8 years are more inclined towards activity oriented, fun-filled, illustrative reading, the best camping books for such age should include all that. While this list of books may not feature every book or even some of the classics, the list covers most popular books which would be suitable for today’s young kids. These books are available in hardcover, paperback or Kindle editions as indicated in the list. We will also look at some of the factors to consider while picking out the most suitable book for your kid or as a gift for somebody else.
Best camping books for young kids comparison listOur pick of the best camping books for young kids out in the market and how they stack against each other.
|The Kids Campfire Book||No|| - This collection of outdoor activities, stories, songs and games is authored by Jane Drake and Ann Love and is considered one of the most popular book for young kids.|
- In its 128 pages, the book contains useful information such as finding a campsite, identifying night sounds, observing and identifying creatures by the shape and glow of their eyes, in conjunction with interesting things such as cooking and telling stories or singing songs around the fire.
- The current edition was published in 1996.
|S Is for S'mores: A Camping Alphabet||Yes|| - This alphabetical journey on camping know-how is authored by famous camper Helen Foster James|
- In 40 pages, the book presents 26 one page letter driven knowledge of camping in both a poetic and prose form.
- Current Edition was published in 2007.
|Toasting Marshmallows: Camping Poems||No|| - This poetic presentation of campfire verses is authored by Kristine O’Connell George.|
- The book contains a total of 30 poems spread across 40+ pages that present camping information in a poetic, illustrative manner.
- The current edition was published in 2001.
|When We Go Camping||No|| - This illustration rich book is authored by Margriet Ruurs and presents a fictional account of a family’s adventure from sunrise to sunset.|
- This 32 page book is quite popular for its unique and beautiful illustrations designed by Andrew Kiss
- The current edition was published in 2004.
|A Camping Spree With Mr. Magee||Yes|| - This illustration rich book is second part of Mr. Magee series and is authored by famous illustrator Chris Van Dusen.|
- In 36 pages, the book features illustrative account of adventures of Mr. Magee and his trusty dog, Dee as they take a camping trip.
- The current edition was published in 2003.
|Buddy Bison's Yellowstone Adventure||No|| - This very recently published National Geographic kids book is authored by Ilona E. Holland.|
- The book contains an account of Buddy Bison and his two new friends as they explore the majestic Yellowstone National Park and is filled with real photos of the park.
- The current edition was published in 2016.
|Small Twig Hiking & Camping Guide||No|| - This illustrative book is part of a set of ten Buck Wilder books about nature and is authored by Timothy Smith.|
- In 10 chapters spread across 60 pages, this book provides basic information such as picking a campsite, building a campfire and identifying camping gear.
- The current edition was published in 1997.
|Trekking on a Trail||No|| - This illustrative book focused on hiking is authored by Linda white.|
- In 64 pages, this book provides basic information on hiking and suggestions for simple activities to do. Special focus has been given to safety tips and the hiking gear.
- The current edition was published in 2000.
|Kids Camp!: Activities for the Backyard or Wilderness||Yes|| - This camping introductory book is authored by Laurie Carlson and Judith Dammel|
- In 184 pages, this book provides detailed information on how to prepare for a camping trip and the type of activities a kid can do in the outdoors. It also includes some simple recipes for snacks.
- The current edition was published in 1995.
|Kids' Outdoor Adventure Book||No||- This activity book is authored by Stacy Tornio & Ken Keffer and published by Falcon Guides.|
- Though primarily meant for 9-13 year olds, the book is filled with more than 400 season specific activities that even kids of 6-8 years can do.
|The Down and Dirty Guide to Camping with Kids||No||- Not a true camping guide for kids, but a must buy for parents.|
- This book is authored by Helen Olsson and in its 250 odd pages, filled with a lot of advice, tips and tools for camping with young kids.
- The current edition was published in 2012.
How to pick the best camping books for young kids?
While picking the best camping guide books for pre-teen kids, most of the factors such as Level and format of the book, publication year and popularity and reviews remain the same as picking the best camping guides for beginners . However, just like best camping books for pre-teen kids ,the year of publication is not as important, because the basics of camping have essentially remained the same.
In addition to these factors the important things to consider are how illustrative the book is, as kids of this age group are in process of building their comprehension skills. Books with long, descriptive text without any interesting illustrations may not find a lot of favour with young kids. Please note depending on individual preferences and skills, some books may not be suitable for your kids, so do check the contents by using the “Look Inside” feature. This would help you to determine if the presentation style of the book is suitable for your young one.
Which are the best camping books for young kids and what our picks are?
In our list, we have listed some of the best camping books for young kids between the age group of 5-8 years. The pick for best camping books for such children depends a lot on the requirements of the reader. But as Editor’s choice, you can consider The Kids Campfire Book: Official Book of Campfire Fun as the Editor’s top pick. In addition, When We Go Camping , though a fictional account of a family’s adventures remains an absolute favourite for its illustrations.
If you are looking for a book to invoke literary skills in the kids, then you can consider Toasting Marshmallows: Camping Poems and A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee are suitable choices. Both of these books present content in an illustrative poetic manner.
Kids typically love books that provide fun and entertainment along with some basic information. For such books National Geographic’s Buddy Bison’s Yellowstone Adventure and Small Twig Hiking & Camping Guide. These books contain some good starting information about camping, presented in a more entertaining way. The book titled S Is for S’mores: A Camping Alphabet is also a suitable choice as it uses a unique approach of presenting camping knowhow through the 26 letters of the English alphabet.
If you are considering pure activity based books then you can consider Kids Camp!: Activities for the Backyard or Wilderness and The Kids’ Outdoor Adventure Book as your top choices. Both of these books would appeal a lot to the 7-8 year old’s.
Final thoughts on best camping books for young kids
In this post, we looked at some of the best outdoor activity books for young kids within the age group of 5 to 8 years. We listed down the books which would not only help in getting kids prepared and interested in outdoor activities such as camping but also help them improve their comprehension skills through fun filled reading. Some of these books are available both in hardcover/paperback and Kindle edition as indicated in the list. These books also make an excellent gift. Do let us know how you found this article and if you would want us to consider anything else. Best wishes for your next outdoor trip with your young one!