As dog owners, we know that safety is our number one concern, especially when we are outside of our home. When we take our adventure pup camping, hiking, or just for a late-night walk, we want to make sure that we know where they are at all times. LED dog collars and safety lights are one of the best ways to ensure the visibility of your dog in less than ambient settings.
But picking the best LED dog collar or safety lights for your pooch is not as cut and dry as most owners believe. Well, worry not! You are at the right place.
In this article, we list some of the best LED dog collars and safety lights available in the market for off-road excursions. We’ve chosen the best options for an outdoor lifestyle, so you can be sure these rugged collars will work no matter where you and your pup decide to roam.
We will also share the factors to consider before picking the best LED dog collar or safety light for your pooch. So, read on to discover the highest quality LED dog collars and safety lights on the market today!
Also check out our article on the best dog tie-outs and stakes for another essential gear to keep your pet safe and secure during an overnight outdoor adventure.
Best LED dog collars and safety lights listSome of the best LED dog collars and safety lights for camping and outdoors are listed below:
|Illumiseen LED Dog Collar||XXS: 8.6"-11.4", 0.79" wide.|
XS: 9"-13.7", 0.79" wide.
S: 13"-17", 0.99" wide.
M: 16"-20", 0.99" wide.
L: 19"-24", 0.99" wide.
X: 21.6"-27.5", 0.99" wide.
|Nite Ize SpotLit Clip-On LED Light||2.1” x 1.3” x 0.8”; 0.64 oz.|
|Blazin' Bison Safety LED Dog Collar||XS: 8.1"-10.75", 0.83" wide.|
S: 9.8"-14.2", 0.83" wide.
M: 13.8"-19.7", 1.0" wide.
L/XL: 19.3"-27.6", 1.0" wide.
|BSeen LED Dog Collar||27.5” long, 0.4” thick. Can be cut/adjusted.|
|PupLight2 Reflective Dog Safety Collar||6” - 26” adjustable, 2.5 oz.|
|Adventure Lights Guardian Dog Light||1.6” x 1.2” x 0.8”, 0.8 oz.|
|Avando Dog Collar Light||1.26” x 1.26” x 0.75”; 0.56 oz.|
|Ruffwear Beacon Safety Light||1.0” x 0.6” x 0.4”; 1.76 oz.|
Why do you need LED dog collars and safety lights?
Whether you walk your dog in the early morning or at night, ensuring that they are clearly visible can be a challenge. Now, imagine taking them out into the woods on a weekend camping trip. Even with the best-trained adventure dogs, they can wander off in a new and exciting environment. Having an LED collar or safety light will make seeing and finding them easier in the dark.
There are numerous reasons LED dog collars and safety lights can be beneficial, some of which are listed below:
- LED dog collars and safety lights are great for almost any outdoor situation with your dog at night. From camping, hiking, or even if you have a large back yard, you will be able to locate your pooch no matter the time of day. The best dog safety lights and LED collars are bright enough to ensure that you can locate your dog even from a distance.
- When you’re walking your dog at night or in less-than ambient lighting conditions, LED dog collars or safety lights not only make it easy for you to see your pet, but bicyclists and motorists can also see the pets over a distance as well. This is great for busy streets or if your dog gets away on the walk and runs into the road.
- Depending on the collar or light that you choose, they can also simply help you see the trail better. Your dog will be sure-footed but having an extra light by your feet can also be helpful. Plus, if the LED light is bright enough, it will make poop scooping in the dark that much easier. And you are also protected against poisonous critters, plants, thorns, rocks and other off-road perils etc.
- While visibility is the primary benefit of using these illumination solutions, and with that added visibility of your dog, you also won’t be stepping or tripping over their paws. Dogs can stop rather abruptly when they’re walking, and if they’re on a leash, it can be easy to trip over them at night. Having an LED collar or safety light will allow you to judge their movements better and see where they’re headed.
- The LED dog collars and safety lights can also help in keeping the local wild animals and intruders away from you and your pupper.
- LED dog collars and safety lights are especially useful for dogs with special needs such as deaf and blind dogs. These lights make the pets easily identifiable and noticeable, even in a crowded environment.
To summarize, having an LED dog collar on your pet will not only keep him/her safer, but it will give you the peace of mind that you will easily be able to find them in the dark.
In the next sections, we will list our picks for the best LED dog collars and safety lights for camping and outdoors and also list out the factors to keep in mind before picking the best dog safety light or collar for your adventure partner.
Which are the best LED dog collars and safety lights for camping and outdoors?
Type & Material: Water-resistant and weatherproof with USB rechargeable battery for full 360-degree illumination and multiple light modes. Made with durable Cordura nylon material with a plastic buckle for securing, and a metal D-ring for attaching to the leash.
- Light Modes: 3 light mode options that include a solid light, rapid flashing, and slow flash
- Battery: USB rechargeable battery that provides 5 hours of illumination per 1-hour charge.
- Water Protection: Water-resistant and weatherproof, meaning that it can withstand light rain, moisture, and splashing. Do not submerge the battery component in water.
- XXSmall: Min. 8.6″ and Max. 11.4″, 0.79″ wide.
- XSmall: Min. 9″ and Max. 13.7″, 0.79″ wide.
- Small: Min. 13″ and Max. 17″, 0.99″ wide.
- Medium: Min. 16″ and Max. 20″, 0.99″ wide.
- Large: Min. 19″ and Max. 24″, 0.99″ wide.
- XLarge: Min. 21.6″ and Max. 27.5″, 0.99″ wide.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending on the size and color.
- Best-selling, top-rated LED dog collar with a sturdy Cordura-Nylon reflective strap, adjustable plastic buckle, and metal D-ring. Made in China under the US-based company’s quality control measures.
- Features a bright light setup that is visible over a distance of over 350 yards. Available in six color combinations – pink, blue, yellow, green, orange, and red. The light will illuminate to match the color of the collar.
- Has 3 light settings powered a rechargeable battery pack that lasts up to 5 hours on a 1-hour recharge. The battery charging cord is included, and the replacement charging cable is readily available.
- Weather and water-resistant, but not fully waterproof – does not support submersion.
- Available in six size options to fit most breeds and easy adjustability to custom fit dogs of all breeds, size, and age.
- Offers a durable design with an easy clip to take on and off, and metal D-ring for attaching to a leash.
- Backed by the best-in-class, hassle-free lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects.
- If you’re looking for a lighter weight 360-illumination design that doesn’t double as a collar, Illumiseen makes an LED Dog Necklace Collar that is a bit cheaper as well. The manufacturer also makes an LED USB rechargeable 4ft dog leash that pairs perfectly with their collars.
When it comes to LED-based dog safety products, Illumiseen is one of the most popular brands in the market and its Illumiseen LED dog collar is one of the best-selling LED dog collars on the market today. It is also our favorite and there is a good reason for that.
The Illumiseen LED dog collar is made with durable nylon material and features an adjustable plastic buckle, along with a metal D-ring for attaching it to the leash. Its durable nylon-based construction and sturdy hardware means that this collar can be used daily. Like other Illumiseen products, the collar is made in China under the US-based company’s strict quality control measures.
The only major complaint that multiple dog owners have had after using this collar is that it is only water-resistant instead of being completely waterproof. It can withstand splashing and light rain, but not much more than that. If the battery is submerged in water or exposed to heavy rainfall, it runs the risk of not working any longer. However, if you do not expect submersion, it is a perfect dog collar.
The versatility that this collar offers outshines much of the competition. You have the option of three different lighting modes: standard solid light, rapid flashing, and slow flashing. Each light mode can be changed with just one click.
Another significant aspect of this being our top pick is the fact that the collar with two LED light strips offers 360-degree illumination over a range of up to 350 yards. Most collars only feature one light strip within the collar, meaning that you can only see the dog when it is within a small radius. With two light strips in the collar, you can have a broader range of visibility.
The collar is powered by a reliable rechargeable USB battery pack that lasts for up to 5 hours on just a 1-hour charge time.
The collar also comes in six different sizes, so you will be able to find a size that fits almost any dog breed. The adjustability option on each collar size makes it easy to custom fit to your dog, and the sturdy plastic buckle makes taking it on and off a breeze. And it is available in six color combinations – pink, blue, yellow, green, orange, and red (the light will illuminate to match the color of the collar).
The Illumiseen LED dog collar is backed by the best-in-class, hassle-free lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects – a testament to the quality this product offers. And If you’re looking for a lighter weight 360-illumination design that doesn’t double as a collar, the manufacturer also offers a cheaper LED Dog Necklace Collar. And Illumiseen also makes an LED USB rechargeable 4ft dog leash that pairs perfectly with these LED dog collars.
Type & Material: Replaceable battery-powered LED light encased by a durable rubber/plastic push-button casing. Easily attach to the collar by an integrated stainless steel carabiner.
- Light Mode: Push-button on/off light that comes in a variety of colors, including a disco color changing option.
- Battery: Replaceable battery with an average of 20-hour lifespan.
- Water Protection: Water-resistant and weatherproof, meaning that it can withstand rain, be dropped in the mud and have water splashed on it. Do not submerge in water.
Size: 2.1″ x 1.3″ x 0.8″; 0.64 oz.
- The Nite Ize SpotLit Clip-On LED Light is the best option for a clip-on safety light as it is designed with a durable stainless steel carabiner that is easy to attach. Designed in the US and made in China.
- Extremely lightweight and can be clipped directly onto the dog’s collar. Versatile operation – can also be used as a clip-on light for pets and humans while running, hiking, cycling or everyday walks.
- Comes with two standard light settings – flashing beacon or continuous light, that can be turned on and off by pushing the center of the light.
- Weatherproof material that can withstand the wear and tear of rainstorms and splashing. But cannot be submerged in water.
- Powered by a set of 2 Lithium Metal button batteries. Light lasts for up to 20 hours before needing new batteries.
- Available in over eight color light options, including white, blue, green, pink, red, lime, orange, and the popular disco color changing LED light combination.
- Competitively priced for its quality. Nite Ize offers a Worry-Free 100% Satisfaction Guarantee on their products. The manufacturer also offers a wide-range of LED pet safety products.
Nite Ize is known for providing innovative, high quality lighting solutions for nearly three decades for both humans and pets and The Nite Ize SpotLit Clip-On LED Light is one of their most popular pet lighting solutions.
This little LED dog safety light is an excellent option for dog owners that only need a small safety light for occasional use as opposed to a full LED collar. The SpotLit LED light is designed and engineered in Colorado, US and made in China under strict quality control procedures.
The SpotLit is a cute, durable light that can easily be clipped onto a collar, harness, or even vest to illuminate the location of a dog any size. And it is versatile enough to be used as a clip-on light for pets and humans while running, hiking, cycling or everyday walks.
Since it is much smaller than most LED collars, the SpotLit will work with most sized dogs and even some large cats. The stainless steel carabiner is integrated into the light system to make sure that it stays fastened to your pet. Equipped with multiple light modes, it is easily an extra light or a beacon with a relatively long battery life.
While this dog safety light may be small, it packs a considerable punch. The distance of illumination is impressive – over 300+ yards and the battery life is up to 20 hours. So, if you only use it only infrequently, this can be a great LED light source.
The battery and light are covered by the rubber casing, making it more durable than most counterparts. That alone makes it able to withstand a dog’s lifestyle of running, jumping, and playing.
One of the major limitations of the Nite Ize SpotLit Clip-On LED Light is that it is only water-resistant and can only be used in normal weather or light showers. It should not be used in heavy rainfall or be submerged in water.
Another common customer complaint was that the batteries were not rechargeable; you had to replace them. This is somewhat non-environmentally friendly and can be more expensive in the long run. Still, if you use a dog safety light infrequently, then you will not have to replace the batteries often.
Like other Nite Ize pet products, the Nite Ize SpotLit Clip-On LED Light is backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer. The manufacturer also offers a wide-range of LED pet safety products including LED dog collars, leashes and pet lights.
Type & Material: Reflective strap dog collar with an illuminating LED light and USB rechargeable battery pack. Made using high tensile nylon materials. One strip LED light bulb design powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery.
- Light Mode: Three lighting modes, including standard solid on, strobe, and blink with visibility up to 350 yards.
- Battery: 8-hour runtime on a lithium-ion USB rechargeable battery pack.
- Water protection: Only water-resistant and not waterproof. Should not be used in very heavy rains or be fully submerged.
- XSmall: 8.1″ to 10.75″, 0.83″ wide.
- Small: 9.8″ to 14.2″, 0.83″ wide.
- Medium: 13.8″ to 19.7″, 1.0″ wide.
- Large/XL: 19.3″ to 27.6″, 1.0″ wide.
- Can be resized up to 40% the length of the collar.
- High-quality LED dog collar provides a durable high-tensile nylon strap and a heavy-duty LED light strip that runs through the entire length of the collar. Made in China
- Offers a full collar-length LED light strip that has three light settings: solid, strobe, and blink and visibility for up to a distance of 350 yards
- Powered by a USB rechargeable battery has an 8-hour runtime on a single recharge.
- Available in over ten color options, including Blue, Red, Pink, Purple, Green, and Black. All of the collar colors will match the light color except for black, which comes with a standard white light.
- Comes in four sizes and can be resized up to 40% of its length. Suitable for all dog breeds and sizes and large cats too.
- Backed by a hassle-free, no-risk 100% lifetime guarantee against defects. The manufacturer also offers an innovative Blazin’ Safety Dog Leash in 100% illuminated, 4 and 6 feet designs.
Type & Material: 360-degree LED USB rechargeable battery collar necklace with adjustable shape. The entire collar is made of glow stick-type rubberized plastic light tube with a small, plastic battery attachment section.
- Light Mode: Three light modes that include a solid glow, quick flashing, and slow flashing.
- Battery: Mini USB rechargeable battery. Battery life is relatively short, but the standard charge necessary is once a week for daily use.
- Water Protection: Water-resistant to heavy rain and snow. No available specs on if it will work if submerged in water.
Size: 27.5″ (70 cm) long, 10 mm. thick, 3.2 oz. Can be cut using scissors for adjustment.
- Unique, one-size-fits-all necklace LED dog collar with a plastic/rubber light tube with a small, plastic battery attachment section. Made in China.
- Comes as a 70cm/27.5″, 9mm. thick strand that can be cut to fit your dog. Light would not be affected by bending or cutting, or dog bite. Can attain any shape because there is no circuit inside the plastic ring.
- Has three easy to change light modes: solid glow, quick flashing, and slow flashing that can be changed by simply clicking the button on the battery portion to adjust the setting.
- Since the battery charging port has a plastic cover, it is water-resistant and able to withstand heavy rain, snow, and splashing.
- There is no buckle to clasp it shut, the light tube simply slides into the battery area, much like a glowstick design. So it is easy for this collar to become loose and fall off if not properly secured or sized.
- As this is a more budget-friendly option, it does not have an extremely long lifespan. Most consumers have claimed it only lasts for 10-12 months with regular use. The battery simply stops working and will no longer charge.
- The collar comes in a variety of color options, including neon green, candy pink, orange, royal blue, and ruby red.
- BSeen offers a standard quality satisfaction guarantee against manufacturing defects.
Type & Material: Two-piece adjustable, reflective nylon dog collar with LED safety light in plastic casing that provides 100% illumination for up to 30 feet. Powered by 3 AAA batteries (not included).
- Light Mode: Two lighting modes – standard solid on, and blink with visibility up to 500+ yards.
- Battery: 8-hour runtime on 3 AAA batteries that last up to 200 hours.
- Water protection: Only water-resistant and not fully waterproof. Should not be used in very heavy rains or be fully submerged.
- Suitable for 6″ – 26″ neck size, 2.5 oz, 4 oz. with batteries.
- Two-piece strap and buckle. Can be resized by removing the extending strap.
Price: $$ to $$$ depending upon the model.
- Newly-redesigned, second-generation dog collar and safety light combo that features a two-piece elastic nylon collar and a heavy-duty LED safety light. Made in China.
- The second generation design is twice as brighter and considerably lighter than the earlier versions. The adjustable, two-piece strap can be buckled/unbuckled according to the pet’s size.
- Offers two lighting modes – solid on and blinking. Provides 100% illumination for up to 30 feet against dead animals, poisonous animals, rancid food, holes, uneven sidewalk and ice.
- Powered by 3 AAA batteries (not included) that can last up to 200 hours.
- Available in three color options – Red, Silver, and Black. All of the collar colors will match the light color except for black, which comes with a standard white light.
- Comes in a single size, most suitable for medium to large and extra-large dog breeds. Weighs 4.0 ounces with the batteries.
- Backed by a hassle-free 3-year warranty against defects. The manufacturer also offers a single-piece, less-brighter Puplight Reflective Dog Safety Light
Type & Material: Fully-waterproof, military-grade dog safety light with a 250-pound crash-rated, ABS plastic casing, body and clip. Velcro strap and Utility belt-clip included.
- Light Mode: Available in five highly-visible colors and two light settings – flashing and continuous mode.
- Battery: 2 x 2032 lithium batteries (included) that last up to 240 hours in flashing mode and 100 hours in continuous mode
- Water Protection: Fully waterproof with permitted submersion up to 300 feet (100m).
- Size: 6″ x 1.2″ x 0.8″, 0.8 oz.
- Premium, military-grade LED dog safety light that is truly designed for all the things that dogs love to do outdoors! It is durable, attachable to collars/harnesses/vests, and easy to use. Made in China for the US-based, global leader in dog safety lights.
- Features a fully waterproof design with permitted submersion up to 300 feet (100m). Impact-resistant and able to withstand extreme temperatures.
- Offers two light modes interchangeable with a single button click on the side: flashing, and always on. Powered by high-capacity 2 x 2032 lithium batteries (included) that last up to 240 hours in flashing mode and 100 hours in continuous mode.
- Versatile operation with many ways to carry – it can be easily fastened to the loop of the dog’s collar, as well as backpacks, water bottles or apparel of your own. Comes with a utility belt clip and Velcro strap.
- Available in five color combinations – green, blue, red, white and yellow. Backed by a five-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Costlier than most other LED dog safety lights but you get a very durable multi-purpose safety light. The manufacturer also offers a bunch of other dog safety light models.
Type & Material: Softshell plastic/rubber encasing the replaceable battery and LED light. Integrated with a stainless steel carabiner for secure attachment. Set of 6 dog safety lights per pack.
- Light Mode: Four different light modes activated with one push for a steady glow and twice for a continuous flash with visibility for up to 0.5 miles.
- Battery: CR 2032 replaceable batteries (6 extras included)
- Water Protection: Water-resistant making them able to withstand exposure to rain and splashing. Do not submerge in water.
Size: 1.26″ x 1.26″ x 0.75″; 0.56 oz.
- Budget clip-on safety dog collar blinker light set with a stainless steel carabiner integrated into the light system to attach to your dog’s D-ring on the collar. Made in China.
- Available in a set of six lightweight lights in six different color options: white, yellow, green, orange, rose red, and blue.
- Offer four different lighting modes – Steady On, Slow Flash, Quick Flash, Off that are visible for over 0.5 miles. Operate with a push-button switch in the middle of the device.
- Powered by a button battery (6 extra included), that lasts up to 100 hours on normal operation. The light system easily disassembles to change the replaceable battery.
- Versatile and produce an ambient glow bright enough to read, find keys or keyhole, locate tent lines and camping gear, attach to backpack for visibility
- Best suited to mild-mannered pets. some customers have reported the light coming apart when used on large dogs that may shake or scratch a lot
- Competitively priced and backed by a 100% satisfaction guaranteed commitment by the manufacturer.
Type & Material: Made with a hard ABS plastic casing, stainless steel clip, and a rechargeable battery with a silicone cover for full waterproofing.
- Light Mode: Equipped with three highly visible colors and three light modes (slow flash, fast flash, and always on).
- Battery: 280mAh LiPo battery is rechargeable with a standard USB cable. Usually, charging time is 1.5 hours, with up to 20 hours of illumination and a low battery signal.
- Water Protection: Fully waterproof and will continue working after being submerged in 1m of water for up to 30 minutes.
Size: 1.0″ x 0.6″ x 0.4″; 1.76 oz.
- Another high-end LED dog safety light that has a durable, hard ABS plastic casing, stainless steel clip, and a rechargeable battery. Made in China/Vietnam for the US-based worldwide popular brand for dog adventure gear.
- Features a fully waterproof design that can be submerged in up to 1 meter of water for 30 minutes. It is even waterproof after the silicone cover comes off of the charging port.
- Offers three light modes changeable with a single button click on the side: slow flash, fast flash, and always on. The light is visible through the translucent shell on the entire device so you can see the light from any angle.
- Versatile operation – can also be used as a clip-on light for runners, hikers, cyclists, kids, and equipment.
- Powered by a high-capacity USB-rechargeable battery that lasts up to 20 hours on a single recharge.
- Available in a clear lake color, but it does have three light colors: blue, red, and green. The entire device can be recycled anywhere electronics are recycled when it needs to be retired.
- Ruffwear uses rigorous testing methods to ensure their products last with outdoor use. Backed by a lifetime satisfaction guaranteed commitment and warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Premium-priced and costlier than most other LED dog safety lights.
Additional Products – LED Dog Leash and Harness
If you are looking for an even longer range of safety illumination, then you can look at getting an LED dog leash, harness or vest which provides all-round illumination – something that is visible from a long distance.
While there are quite a few options available in the market, the following three are the best LED dog leashes and harnesses in the market right now:
- noxgear LightHound Illuminated LED Dog Harness: Premium, innovative LED dog harness that offers 8 super bright solid colors and 6 flashing colors in a single illuminated harness. 360-degree illumination with a range of 800+ yards; highly-adjustable and lasts up to 12 hours on a single recharge. Available in four sizes for pets from 10 lbs. up to 120 lbs.
- Illumiseen LED Dog Leash: Best-selling, value-for-money USB rechargeable LED dog leash with a long-distance (350+ yards) visibility. Available in lengths of 4 or 6 feet with a 1-inch wide illuminating strip on one side. Comes in six vibrant colors. Lasts for 5 hours on a 1-hour recharge and backed by a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects and damage.
- Blazin’ Safety LED Dog Leash: Mid-range, USB rechargeable LED dog leash with an effective visibility of over 300 yards. Available in two lengths of 4 or 6 feet and offers a 1-inch wide, triple mode (on, strobe or blink) illuminated surface in eight vibrant colors. Lasts up to 7 hours on a single recharge and backed by a 100% lifetime guarantee.
How to pick the best LED dog collar or safety light for camping and outdoors?
With so many different options available in the market, picking the best LED dog collar or safety light can often be a challenge. After all, Not all LED collars are created for the same purposes or frequency of use and finding the perfect LED dog collar or safety light for your pet is a decision that requires careful consideration.
While budget is always a factor when you are buying something, keep in mind that you want a durable, long-lasting LED collar that won’t short out on you suddenly. Since safety is the number one influencer for dog owners considering an LED collar, buying a cheap, low-quality option is a danger to your pet.
To summarize, the best dog safety light or LED dog collar is the one that is:
- Sturdy, durable and built-to-last.
- Bright with a long visible range and totally safe for the pet.
- Portable and convenient for the canine to wear, without affecting the navigability.
- Weather-resistant and waterproof for outdoor use or at least be water-resistant.
- Easily rechargeable or have replaceable batteries.
- Available in a variety of sizes and colors (adjustable in case of LED dog collars).
Once you’ve decided on your budget, you will need to consider a few aspects before you purchase your new LED collar or safety light as discussed below:
- Building material
- Design features
- Light Quality and Color
- Water protection – Waterproof or Water-Resistant
- Size, Weight, and Adjustability
- Warranty and After-Sales Support
The material that the collar is made out of and the way that it is constructed will determine the overall durability and lifespan of the collar. In some cases, if the material is low-quality or the collar is not constructed well, the material will fall apart before the batteries or lights die.
Not only that, but your dog’s safety can be impacted when an LED collar is constructed with fast and cheap materials. You need to keep in mind how often and when you will be using it.
As there are electrical components such as wiring and a battery strapped around their necks, you need to ensure that there will not be an electrical short while they are wearing it. Plus, since the batteries are powering the lights, if the material is too thin, the battery pack could heat up and irritate your dog’s skin as they wear it.
Since you’re reading this article, we will assume that this is intended for outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, and hunting. That means that you need a durable design that can withstand the rough and tumble life your dog likely has.
If they hike off-leash, they likely run through the woods where they could potentially snag the collar on rocks or branches. This kind of outdoor exposure requires that the collar is made from high-quality, durable materials. In our view, reflective Cordura or Nylon straps are the best for LED dog collars.
When it comes to safety lights, the best dog safety lights have the LED’s housed securely in an air-tight, weather-resistant plastic casing and have a stainless-steel or aluminum carabiner to attach them to the dog collar, leash or backpack.
Check the manufacturing material of the collar – the collar strap, buckles or carabiners, LED strips or lights, etc. before picking the best LED dog collar of safety light for your canine.
The design of the collar will directly influence the application. If you just want a safety beacon light, a collar will not be necessary, but if you want a high visibility item, then a collar is your best bet. Still, not all LED collars even have the same features.
Some collars will be equipped with a 360-degree light design, meaning that the light wraps entirely around your dog’s neck within the collar itself. This gives you higher visibility and allows you to see your dog easily. Other collars will only light up in sections and a safety light will simply clip and dangle from the location it has been clipped.
Beyond the light location, you will also need to consider how many light features it has. Most LED dog collars will be designed with one LED light strip that runs through the collar. However, there are a few higher-quality LED dog collars that have two LED light strips instead of one. That extra bit of light can drastically alter the distance at which your dog is still visible.
Some other options besides a collar or safety lights are a complete LED dog harness and leash (some options are listed below in the Additional Products section). The leash can be a great addition if you are an avid nighttime walker or hiker. It makes you and your dog more visible to others, and it gives you a bit more illumination on the trail.
Check the overall design features before picking the best LED dog collar or safety light for your pooch.
Light Quality and Color
Closely related with the design features of the LED dog collar or safety light are the light quality features – visible range, the brightness of the light and battery life.
The power of the battery will impact LED light quality and visibility. First, you need to consider how bright you need the light to be. Will your dog strictly be wearing this when they are being walked on a leash? Will your dog be off-leash in a large area? These are questions to consider when debating how bright the collar or safety light needs to be.
All in all, the light needs to be bright enough to be visible from a distance. The best LED dog collars and safety lights offer a visible range in excess of 200 yards, while some offer a range of up to 0.5-1.0 miles.
The brighter the LED light, the better, but you also don’t want it to be a distraction to you or your dog. This can be a hard thing to test until you have already purchased the collar. If you are buying online, we recommend looking at the collar’s specs closely and consulting past customer reviews. In most cases, if the light is low-quality, the customer reviews will let you know.
Now, back to the battery aspect of the light quality. As you may know, from using a flashlight or headlamp, as your battery starts to die, the light will dim and fade. The same will be true with the LED collars. That means that you should be looking for batteries that have a long-running time. Some LED collars and safety lights are equipped with a low battery signal.
Most LED dog collars and safety lights are now made with rechargeable batteries, but that is not always the case. The rechargeable collars that we mentioned above will usually last multiple walks before needing a charge. Not all rechargeable batteries will be as high-quality. If you get a collar that runs on replaceable batteries, the lifespan may be longer, but you will have to change batteries frequently and likely carry a backup at all times.
Another closely related feature is the color of the lights. Some LED collars will be pure white light, whereas others allow you to match the color of the light to the color of the collar itself. Studies have shown that the Green Light in collars is the most visible and identifiable, with Red and Orange not far behind. Illumiseen LED Dog Collar scores big in this category – as this LED dog collar is available in over six color combinations.
Water protection – Waterproof or Water-Resistant
For camping and outdoor use, the weather and water-protection is a major purchasing influencer. If you have an adventure pup that loves the water and doesn’t mind taking a hike or going for a run in the rain, then a waterproof LED dog collar or safety light is a must.
Many of the LED dog collar designs will only be water-resistant. All that means is that it can become damp or withstand a few drops of water now and then. However, once the battery gets too wet, the collar will stop working.
A completely waterproof collar or safety light may be more expensive upfront. However, opting for a waterproof as opposed to a water-resistant collar will usually save you money in the long run if you and your dog enjoy outdoor adventures.
Size, Weight, and Adjustability
Considering that your pupper would be an enthusiastic trail-hound, the size and weight of the LED dog collar or safety light is also something that would be worth checking out before picking the best LED dog collar or safety light.
The best dog safety lights are generally pretty lightweight, so this section applies more specifically to the LED dog collars.
LED dog collars come in a variety of sizes, and some brands are one size fits all versions. The best LED dog collars that are equipped with a resizing buckle will usually be more expensive, but they will have more applications as your dog ages or if you have multiple dogs who would be sharing the collar. Our top pick – the Illumiseen LED Dog Collar is one such LED dog collar – it is available in six sizes.
The one-size-fits-all LED dog collars such as the BSeen LED Dog Collar are often one simple light strand that acts more as a necklace than a collar. These collars require you to adjust and then cut off the excess plastic tubing. While this will fit your dog perfectly, the same necklace will not be able to be used on other pets.
The width of the collar is also something to look out for. If you have a small dog, this will be especially relevant. As all LED lights need to have a power source within the collar, some battery packs (especially rechargeable) are in the form of a large box. This can be heavy and bulky on a toy dog, whereas it will fit a large dog normally.
This is also a factor in the weight of the collar. Small dogs obviously will not be able to carry as much weight as a large dog, but you also don’t want any size dog to carry excessive weight around their neck. This could irritate the area and will eventually lead to them scratching or attempting to remove the collar.
The weight will be more significant if you are an avid hiker, runner, or biker, and you plan to have your dog wear the collar for a longer duration during those activities. While dogs can often outrun us, the extra weight will still weigh them down and become bothersome.
Check the overall size and weight of the LED dog collar (and safety lights to a limited extent) before picking the best option for your pooch. You can generally get a good idea about this from the product details, reviews, and Q&A section.
Warranty and After-Sales Support
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are a couple of other considerations that can make a particular product a better choice over other LED dog collars and safety lights.
One such consideration is the availability of replacement parts, batteries, and accessories that come with the dog safety light or collar. Make sure you pick an option that uses standard batteries and has carabiners and clips that can be easily replaced.
Another important additional consideration is the warranty and post-purchase customer service support offered on the LED dog collar or safety light by the manufacturer.
While there is nothing like an indestructible dog light, the longer the warranty period, the more durable it would be. Most of the options that we have listed, especially from top manufacturers like Illumiseen, Adventure Lights, Ruffwear and Nite Ize, are backed by excellent post-purchase support and warranties, so you can pick any of these options without worrying about their durability. Just make sure you make your purchase only from authorized resellers and register your product after purchasing if required.
You can look at all these additional factors before zeroing in on the best dog safety light or LED dog collar for your canine. And if in doubt, pick one of our top recommendations – you would not be disappointed.
Final thoughts on the best LED dog collars and dog safety lights
An LED dog collar or safety light can be an essential piece of gear for your outdoor adventure partner. Dogs love running and playing, even when it is dark outside.
There are many styles and colors to choose from with LED collars today but many LED dog collars on the market are cheaply made and will not last the lifetime of your pet. So you need to weigh in all the options and factors before picking the best LED dog collar or safety light for your canine companion.
In this article, we listed some of the best LED dog collars and safety lights available in the market to give them the safety they deserve during an outdoor excursion and yourself the ability to see them no matter the time of day. We also discussed the major considerations to keep in mind before picking the best emergency light system for your pooch and shared our top picks.
We hope that you found this article useful and it helps you pick the best dog safety light or collar for your pooch’s next outdoor adventure. Please, let us know your feedback by commenting below. Until next time, happy camping with your beloved Fido!
Image credits: Amazon.com