As we saw in our article on the best camping chairs, chairs are excellent portable furniture to relax and unwind during an outdoor adventure. However, one of the major challenges with such portable chairs is that they are not as comfortable for long-term sitting. Enter zero-gravity chairs to the scene – these chairs are among the best type of portable chairs for campers, beach-goers, and outdoor enthusiasts. Unlike standard camping chairs, zero-gravity chairs allow for portability without compromising on the level of comfort.
However, with so many options available in the market, picking the best zero-gravity chair can sometimes be a challenge, and that’s why we put together this review of the best zero-gravity chairs for camping and outdoor use. We will list the best zero-gravity chairs for camping and outdoors, as well as share useful buying advice to help you pick the best zero-gravity recliner for your needs. Read On!
A quick disclaimer before you continue reading: While zero-gravity chairs are amazing RVing and car camping options, they are far too bulky to be used on backpacking treks. If you are looking for the best backpacking chairs, check out our article on the best backpacking chairs.
Best zero-gravity chairs listSome of the best zero-gravity chairs for camping and outdoors are listed below:
|Caravan Sports Infinity Zero-Gravity Chair||Folded: 38.6" x 26.4" x 6.3".|
Open: 25.5" x 26.4" x 31.0/45.5"; 64.5" fully reclined.
18 lbs. for people up to 300 lbs.
|Timber Ridge Zero-Gravity Patio Lounger Chair||Folded: 35.8" x 28.7" x 7.0".|
Open: 22.0" x 21.3" x 33.5/43.5”; 72" fully reclined.
20 lbs. for people up to 350 lbs.
|Lafuma LFM3118-8547 Futura Zero Gravity Recliner||Folded: 38.8" x 28" x 6.7".|
Open: 28.0" x 32.6" x 44.9", 69.5” fully reclined.
17.1 lbs. for people up to 310 lbs.
|Phi Villa Zero-Gravity Lounge Chair||Folded: 36.0" x 29.1" x 6.0".|
Open: 29.1" x 35.4" x 32.5/44.9”, 67.0" fully reclined.
24.8 lbs. for people up to 350 lbs.
|PORTAL Oversized Zero-Gravity Recliner Chair||Folded: 37.0" x 29.0" x 7.5".|
Open: 29.0" x 30 .0" x 29/44.0", 72.0" fully reclined.
24.2 lbs. for people up to 350 lbs.
|Sunjoy Zero-Gravity Camping Chair||Folded: 37.4" x 29.1" x 5.5".|
Open: 27.0" x 20.5" x 30.3/46.0"; 69.3" fully reclined.
11 lbs. for people up to 300 lbs.
|Best Choice Products Oversized Zero-Gravity Recliner||Folded: 38.0" x 32.5" x 6.5".|
Open: 36.0" x 32.5" x 33.75/47.5", 62.25" fully reclined.
19 lbs. for people up to 250 lbs.
|AmazonBasics Zero-Gravity Chair||Folded: 36.8" x 24.75" x 6.0".|
Open: 25.6" x 32.5" x 43.3", 64.2" fully reclined.
16.5 lbs. for people up to 300 lbs.
|Bliss Hammocks Zero-Gravity Chair with Canopy||Folded: 38.0" x 26.0" x 6.25".|
Open: 26.0" x 32.5" x 33.0/45.0", 71.5" fully reclined.
22 lbs. for people up to 300 lbs.
|Goplus Canopy Zero-Gravity Lounge Chair||Folded: 38.0" x 30.0" x 6.0".|
Open: 26.0" x 32.5" x 31.0/44.0", 69.5" fully reclined.
18.5 lbs. for people up to 250 lbs.
What are zero-gravity chairs and how can they be useful?
Zero-gravity chairs, or anti-gravity chairs as they are sometimes called, are essentially recliners for an RV or car camping outdoor excursion.
The term zero-gravity, coined by NASA, refers to the limited gravitational force your body experiences when suspended in a neutral posture. A zero-gravity chair exploits this law of physics.
When reclining, a zero-gravity chair evenly distributes your body weight across the chair. While you won’t be lacking gravity when you are sitting in this type of chair, you will have a sense of weightlessness, thereby providing you maximum comfort and relaxation (hence the name anti-gravity chair).
There are multiple positions that you can choose when using your zero-gravity chair, and the chair is usually built to lock securely in place.
Zero-gravity chairs have gained popularity as outdoor chairs due to this high level of comfort and durability they provide during multi-day outdoor excursions. These chairs are designed to be comfortable, no matter the position you choose.
When you are in the fully reclined position on a zero-gravity chair, your legs are positioned slightly higher than your heart. This particular body position can help reduce pain and swelling in your legs due to certain medical conditions, improve blood circulation, and give your heart a break. This makes zero-gravity chairs and recliners perfect for people with certain health conditions.
Not only that, but that zero-gravity feeling is relieving your spine and vertebrae from the weight of gravity. If you suffer from back pain, the release given by a zero-gravity chair has to potential to provide you with some relief.
In the next sections, we will list our picks for the best zero-gravity chairs for camping and outdoors and also list out the factors to keep in mind before picking the best option for your needs.
Which are the best zero-gravity chairs for camping and outdoors?
Material: Tubular steel frame with a black powder coating for weather protection. Durable outdoor-grade 600D Textilene fabric suspended with a dual bungee system. Adjustable EVA foam head/backrest.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 6″ x 26.4″ x 6.3″.
- Open: 5″ x 26.4″ x 31.0/45.5″; 64.5″ fully reclined.
- Weight: 18 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 300 lbs.
- Value-for-money, best-selling zero-gravity chair with a 600g Textilene fabric surface mounted on a powder-coated tubular steel frame. Made in China for the US-based company.
- A new and improved design offers a dual fingertip locking system that allows you to lock the chair in any position. Supports a person up to 300 lbs.
- Also features an adjustable foam headrest that can double-up as lumbar support.
- Lightweight and portable – folds down to only 6.3″ wide carrying size, making it also suitable for outdoor adventures like camping, beach trips, or games.
- Available in six colors – beige, black, blue, burgundy, camouflage, and grey. Backed by a 60-day warranty with the option of purchasing an extended protection plan.
- The company also offers an oversized zero-gravity chair option along with a few other standard folding camp chairs.
When it comes to affordable outdoor zero-gravity chairs, the Caravan Sports Infinity Zero-Gravity Chair is a fantastic value for the quality and portability it offers. It is one of the most popular zero-gravity chairs in the market and there is a good reason for that.
The Caravan Sports Infinity Zero-Gravity Chair features a high-quality, outdoor-grade 600g Textilene (2:1) solar screen fabric mounted on a tubular steel frame. The tubular steel frame is powder-coated to hold up against the elements. These features make this a great option for outdoor adventures such as car camping and RVing as well as backyards and patios.
The Caravan Sports Infinity chairs have gone through several design improvements over the years – including a major improvement in the locking system. The latest models offer a unique dual finger locking mechanism under each armrest that allows you to move the chair to your desired position and then lock it.
The only limitation is that the locking mechanism is made out of plastic and, according to some users, is easy to defeat under the max weight limit.
Another excellent design feature is the adjustable headrest that can double as a lumbar supporting pillow. The headrest is exceptionally comfortable when in the reclining position. Persons of lower weight may find it challenging to get into the reclining position, but once there, they find it very comfortable. The double bungee system that attaches the fabric to the frame makes reclining the chair even better as it slightly melds to your body without sagging.
The chair offers a decent 300 lbs. load capacity with open dimensions of 25.5″ x 26.4″ x 31.0/45.5″; 64.5″ fully reclined – the size is suitable for any person up to 6 – 6.2 feet tall. The manufacturer also offers an oversized zero-gravity chair option along with a few other standard folding camp chairs.
Unlike many other zero-gravity chairs, the Infinity chair is extremely portable and quite easy to transport. They fold down to be just six inches wide and only weigh about 18 lbs. This feature makes them a great option if you store the camping furniture over the winter or if you want a chair to take to the beach or camping.
The Sports Infinity Zero-Gravity Chair is available in six color combinations – beige, black, blue, burgundy, camouflage, and grey and is backed by a 60-day warranty with the option of purchasing an extended protection plan by the manufacturer.
Material: Steel tube frame with weather-resistant powder coating. Durable polyester fabric chair surface and padded front and back. EVA foam headrest. ABS plastic or wooden armrest and plastic sliding side table.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 35.8″ x 28.7″ x 7.0″.
- Open: 22.0″ x 21.3″ x 33.5/43.5″; 72″ fully reclined.
- Weight: 20 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 350 lbs.
- Also available in an XXL size with a weight capacity of 600 lbs.
- High-quality, comfortable zero-gravity chairs with a heavy-duty steel tube frame having a multi-layer coating of rust and water-resistant paint. Designed in the US and made in China under strict quality control measures.
- Features a seating fabric made of weather-proof polyester mesh which is double, and triple-stitched along the stress points for extra durability.
- Equipped with a unique, adjustable bungee suspension system that is designed to lock at up to 170-degrees using a patented locking mechanism. Ergonomically-designed ABS plastic or wooden armrests provide maximum comfort while sitting. Ability to support up to 350 lbs.
- Also comes with standard additional accessories such as a folding side table and a removable EVA foam back/headrest in matching colors.
- Available in two different sizes and five different color combinations – blue, camouflage, earth tone, navy blue, and beige.
- Backed by a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Not the cheapest option in the market, but still decent value for money. Timber Ridge also offers two other great zero-gravity chair options: Zero-gravity outdoor/beach/camping lounge chair and the oversized adjustable recliner.
When it comes to the best zero-gravity chairs, the Timber Ridge zero-gravity lounger chairs offer excellent value for money with innovative design features and multiple options for size and color. It is also our favorite and there is a good reason for that.
The Timber Ridge Zero-Gravity Chair features a heavy-duty steel tube frame (some earlier versions had aluminum tube frames) with a coating of rust and water-resistant paint. Unlike earlier versions, which had complaints of rust after prolonged exposure to the sun and weather, the latest models have multi-layer powder coating which is going to withstand the weather elements for a longer time. These chairs are made in China under strict quality control measures.
The chair seating fabric is made of weather-proof polyester mesh which is double, and triple-stitched along the stress points for extra durability. The mesh is quite soft as such, but in order to provide more comfort, the chair has extra padding on the seating area and the back of the chair. An EVA foam head/backrest is also added to provide body support as and when required. The head-rest is removable.
The chair also features ergonomically-designed ABS plastic or wooden armrests and a folding side table to hold the phone and drinks. The locking levers of the recliner are also made of plastic. The chair legs also have plastic covers for better stability even on wet grounds.
With a seating size of 22″ x 20″ x 29.9″ and reclined dimensions of Open- 22.0″ x 21.3″ x 33.5/43.5″ (72″ when fully reclined) and a weight capacity of up to 350 lbs. it is probably the most comfortable option for its price. When folded the chair is approximately 35.8″ x 28.7″ x 7.0″. A larger XXL model is also available in case you are looking for something bigger.
The biggest selling point of the Timber Ridge Zero-Gravity Locking Lounge Chairs is its superior design features. It is equipped with a unique bungee suspension system that is designed to take the shape of the body when sat upon and still not sag uncomfortably.
A patented locking mechanism with easy locking levers allows the chair to be adjusted from 0-degrees to as much as 170-degrees. Once you have adjusted the chair in the desired position, you just need to turn the levers on the side so the position locks into place. The locking clamps just slide on and locks into place and can be removed if you don’t want it attached. This means that you can use it as a standard chair, a beach lounger, or just as a reclined bed for a nice little nap.
The EVA foam pillow provides excellent head or lumbar support whenever required. The wooden or plastic armrest is also designed in a way to provide comfortable support without restricting access to the phone or drink can on the side table.
These zero-gravity chairs are available with a beige, black, blue, navy blue, and grey multi-color fabric cover, so you can pick one as per your preference. The steel frame is coated with dark black rust-resistant e-coating with a matching attached side table.
And like other Timber Ridge outdoor furniture products, the Timber Ridge Zero-Gravity Lounger Chair is backed by a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
For a more detailed review, you can check out our article on the Timber Ridge Zero-gravity chairs.
Material: HLE steel tube frame with a breathable, 3-layer technical Batyline fabric. Adjustable EVA foam head/backrest.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 38.8″ x 28″ x 6.7″.
- Open: 28.0″ x 32.6″ x 44.9″, 5″ fully reclined.
- Weight: 17.1 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 310 lbs.
- Also available in an XL size with a weight capacity of 330 lbs.
- Premium and luxurious zero-gravity recliner with a breathable, quick-drying meshed Batyline fabric mounted on a sturdy stainless steel frame. Made in France and marketed by a 60+-year-old manufacturer that specializes in outdoor and patio furniture.
- The special seating material is especially suitable for outdoor use and coated with an anti-fungal treatment to protect the surface from mildew.
- Features a patented elastomer clip suspension system that provides more comfortable, firmer support and makes the chair extremely easy to install and setup.
- Also comes with a high-quality removable EVA foam headrest cushion, protective ring for footrest, and foot glides to provide maximum relaxation and comfort.
- Can support up to 6’2″-6’3″, 300-310 lbs. person. Also available in a larger, XL size for people up to 6’6″ and 330 lbs.
- Portable design makes it easy to fold up, store, and carry on car camping trips, to the beach, or just store for winter.
- Easy to maintain – the seat fabric is quick-drying and can be removed for washing. Available in a variety of colors including pink and ocean blue, and backed by a two-year warranty against any manufacturing or material defects.
- Premium-priced and considerably costlier than most other zero-gravity chairs. A costlier but foamed and more comfortable, Lafuma Futura Air Comfort Folding Recliner is also available from the same manufacturer.
Material: Oxford fabric seat cover mounted on a heavy-duty e-coated steel frame. Wooden armrests, plastic cup holder, and removable EVA-foam padded headrest.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 36.0″ x 29.1″ x 6.0″.
- Open: 29.1″ x 35.4″ x 32.5/44.9″, 67.0″ fully reclined.
- Weight: 24.8 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 350 lbs.
- Mid-range zero-gravity lounger chair with a decent-quality oxford fabric seating surface mounted on a powder-coated tubular steel frame. Made in China.
- The durable synthetic oxford fabric cover is stain-resistant, water-resistant, ventilated, and UV-resistant. Features wooden armrests, a plastic cup holder, and a padded headrest for comfort.
- The newest designs offer an effective lockable reclining system that allows the chair to recline to 150-160-degrees. The locking system is convenient and easy to use with a simple push-and-pull lever/button.
- Wide sitting surface, but because of the smaller size, the chair is best suited for people only up to 6’2″ tall. Some taller customers felt that this chair does not recline as far back and does not elevate the feet properly when compared to other zero-gravity chairs.
- Portable and easy to fold and unfold without any assembly or tools.
- Available in five-elegant, two-tone including blue, camouflage, and red. Backed by a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
- PHI VILLA has an extensive collection of camping and patio furniture for sale including poolside couches, tables, complete patio sets, and more.
Material: Cushioned mesh fabric seat cover mounted on a heavy-duty powder steel frame. Eco-friendly wooden armrests, plastic side table with cup holder, and adjustable EVA-foam padded headrest.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 37.0″ x 29.0″ x 7.5″.
- Open: 29.0″ x 30 .0″ x 29/44.0″, 72.0″ fully reclined.
- Weight: 24.2 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 350 lbs.
- Premium oversized zero-gravity chair with a mesh fabric seating back and cushioned seating surface mounted on a heavy-duty powder-coated tubular steel frame. Made in China.
- The newly redesigned chair offers a wider, ergonomic seating surface with a curved back, fully padded seating, and a back pillow that can be adjusted to provide back or lumbar support. Large 21″ sitting surface supports up to 350 lbs. and people with heights up to 6’2″-6’4″.
- Equipped with a dual fingertip locking system that allows the chair to recline up to 170-degrees. Easy to operate and provides seamless adjustment of the seating position.
- Also features classic wooden armrests and a foldable plastic side table with cupholder. But it cannot be left in the sun or rain for a long time.
- Portable and easy to fold and unfold without any assembly or tools.
- Available in two-three color combinations and backed by a one-year warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Portal offers a wide collection of patio and outdoor furniture for sale including poolside couches, tables, complete patio sets, and more.
Material: Powder-coated steel frame with weather-resistant Textilene seat fabric supported by dual bungee system. Padded foam headrest and contoured plastic armrests.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 37.4″ x 29.1″ x 5.5″.
- Open: 27.0″ x 20.5″ x 30.3/46.0″; 69.3″ fully reclined.
- Weight: 11 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 300 lbs.
- No locking mechanism or cup holder.
- Budget, super-lightweight zero-gravity chair with an all-weather, water-resistant breathable Textilene seat cover mounted on a powder-coated tubular steel frame. Made in China.
- Features a double bungee support system that runs up one side and down the other, securely connecting the fabric to the frame.
- Comes with an EVA-foam padded headrest and gently contoured plastic armrests to provide maximum comfort and support.
- There is no locking mechanism to keep the chair in place, and the body-weight is supposed to hold the person in a reclining position. This lack of a locking feature can make staying in the mid-range seated positions difficult. Most suitable for people up to 6″ tall.
- Because of the lighter weight and no-assembly required construction, it is extremely portable to be used for camping, beach, and other outdoor excursions.
- Available in six stylish color combinations including burgundy, black, beige, brown, grey, and blue. Backed by a 30-day limited warranty and hassle-free returns.
- Competitively priced and cheaper than most other zero-gravity chairs for its size. The manufacturer – Sunjoy also offers a wide array of camping and patio furniture options including gazebos, padded patio chairs, heaters, and more.
Material: Sturdy yet lightweight powder-coated steel frame with a UV-protected, water-resistant synthetic mesh fabric. Plastic side table/cup holder and a removable/adjustable EVA-foam cushioned headrest.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 38.0″ x 32.5″ x 6.5″.
- Open: 36.0″ x 32.5″ x 33.75/47.5″, 62.25″ fully reclined.
- Weight: 19.0 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 250 lbs.
- A zero-gravity recliner set with two chairs and a zero-gravity recliner with canopy is also available.
Price: $ to $$ depending upon the color and model.
- Value-for-money, oversized zero-gravity chair featuring a UV-protected, water-resistant synthetic mesh fabric seating surface mounted on a powder-coated steel frame. Made in China.
- Features a decent bungee support system that has replaceable cables with an automatic locking system to make reclining angle adjustment smooth and easy using the lock rings. However, some customers have reported that the zero-gravity chair does not recline back as far as other models.
- Also comes with an adjustable/removable headrest and a foldable cup holder accessory tray that holds 2 cups and has slots to hold phones, tablets, magazines, or other small items.
- Portable and convenient to carry – easily folds down. The lightweight frame supports people up to 5’8″ – 5’11” and weighing up to 250-260 lbs. Cannot be exposed in the sun or inclement weather for a long time.
- Available in three color combinations – Black, Gray, and Navy. Backed by a limited 60-day warranty against manufacturer defects.
- Best Choice Products makes a variety of other outdoor furniture options, including the best-selling zero-gravity recliner set with two chairs and offers a few different chair designs to choose from.
Material: UV-protected breathable Textilene seat fabric mounted on a powder-coated steel frame. Plastic cup holders, padded EVA-foam headrest, and contoured plastic armrests.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 36.8″ x 24.75″ x 6.0″.
- Open: 25.6″ x 32.5″ x 43.3″, 64.2″ fully reclined.
- Table: 18.5″ x 18.5″ x 21.2″.
- Weight: 16.5 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 300 lbs.
- Budget zero-gravity chair made of weather-resistant, UV-protected breathable Textilene seat fabric mounted on a powder-coated steel frame. Made in China.
- Features an adjustable double bungee suspension system with a finger locking system allows convenient and safe locking at any angle. The bungees are threaded through steel eyelets which prevent the fabric from tearing.
- Also comes with plastic cup holders, adjustable EVA-foam headrest, and contoured plastic armrests. Each chair is suitable for a single person up to 6′ tall and weighing up to 300 lbs.
- Extremely portable and easy to assemble and disassemble without tools. Folds flat for compact storage and easy transport.
- Available in four-five elegant color combinations and backed by a one-year AmazonBasics warranty. Also available in a 2-chair combo, without the side table.
- AmazonBasics offers a wide range of outdoor and patio furniture, all available in multiple designs and at affordable prices.
Material: PVC-coated polyester fabric seating mounted on a powder-coated steel frame. Full-sized adjustable canopy, plastic cup holder, and padded foam headrest.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 38.0″ x 26.0″ x 6.25″.
- Open: 26.0″ x 32.5″ x 33.0/45.0″, 71.5″ fully reclined.
- Weight: 22 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 300 lbs.
- Also available in a wider, 31″ seat size and 33″ seat size which support up to 360 lbs.
- Mid-range canopy zero-gravity chair that offers all-weather relaxed seating with a PVC-coated polyester fabric surface mounted on a powder-coated steel frame. Made in China.
- The ergonomically designed curved back provides maximum comfort.
- Comes with an adjustable full-sized, sun-shade canopy and a padded headrest. Also has full-sized armrests and a cup holder, which can be attached on either side of the chair.
- Features an adjustable double bungee suspension system with a level locking system under the armrest that allows seamless recline adjustment. The bungees are threaded through steel eyelets to prevent the fabric from tearing.
- Available in three sizes and several color options available including blue flowers, brown jacquard, denim blue, platinum grey, raven black, sage green, terracotta, vanilla jacquard, canvas white, fern jacquard, sand, blue/white striped, neutral stripes, platinum fern, and terracotta flowers. A few customers have reported that the colors can bleed when left out in rain.
- Bliss Hammocks make a few different outdoor chair options as well as hammocks and other camping and patio equipment.
- All Bliss Hammocks products are covered by a limited one-year warranty against manufacturer defects.
Material: Powder-coated steel frame with PVC-coated polyester fabric for the seat. Adjustable canopy, plastic side table, and padded foam-cushioned headrest.
Size & Weight:
- Folded: 38.0″ x 30.0″ x 6.0″.
- Open: 26.0″ x 32.5″ x 31.0/44.0″, 69.5″ fully reclined.
- Weight: 18.5 lbs.
- Max Weight Supported: 250 lbs.
- Another popular canopy zero-gravity chair with a breathable, PVC-coated polyester fabric seat cover mounted on a powder-coated steel frame. Made in China.
- The ergonomically-designed triangle frame along with non-slip footrests provides additional stability.
- The standard locking system allows a seamless recline for up to 150-160 degrees. Supports people to 250 lbs. and 5’9″ – 6′ tall.
- Comes with a flexible, sun-shade canopy that can be adjusted to most sitting angles and also folded down. Also comes with an adjustable padded headrest (reportedly smaller than most other chairs). Has full-sized armrests and a cup and magazine holder which can be attached on either side of the chair.
- A few customers have reported that the colors can bleed when left out in rain. Prolong exposure may cause the frame to rust.
- Available in five elegant color combinations and backed by a limited one-year warranty against manufacturer defects.
Zero-gravity chair trays and cup holders
One of the most popular accessories that you would need with a zero-gravity chair is a cup holder and/or utility tray.
While most models that we listed either come with their accessory trays or offer one for purchase separately, you can check the following generic options if you are looking for one. They are compatible with almost all zero-gravity chair models that we have listed:
- Keten Zero-Gravity Chair Tray: Best-selling zero-gravity chair tray with hard plastic construction. The upgraded version offers a big slot for iPhone 6-8+ and iPads as well as a slotted cup holder for condensed drink cans or cups. Backed by a 45-day moneyback guarantee and a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Yephets Universal Cup Holder Set: A set of two durable and lightweight ABS plastic cup holder and utility tray combo that clips on to the tubular sections of the chair. Offers two cup holders and mobile phone slots per tray.
- Camco 51834 Zero-Gravity Chair Tray and Cup Holder: Lightweight zero-gravity chair tray and cup holder with a durable textured polypropylene construction. Features two cup holders, one of which is compatible with the stemmed drinkware. Does not have a phone holder though.
How to pick the best zero-gravity chair for camping and outdoors?
With so many different options available in the market, picking the best zero-gravity chair for camping and outdoors can often be a challenge. After all, you need a zero-gravity chair that provides a nice balance between size, weight, and comfort and does not leave you sore and stiff in the wild. There are wide variations in product quality and product prices, and not every model will be durable, reliable, and comfortable.
Once you’ve decided on the broad budget you have, you can look at the following factors before picking the best zero-gravity chair for your needs:
- Building material
- Design features and capacity
- Overall size and weight
- Packing size and portability
- Style and looks
- Additional factors and considerations
The construction material of the zero-gravity chair – specifically the fabric of the seat cover and the material of the frame, rivets, and legs, is an important factor as it governs the durability and reliability of the chair. Why else do you think there is so much variation in the price of these recliners?
Specifically, the construction quality governs the following major things:
- The durability of the zero-gravity chair to last more than a few camping trips.
- The ability of the chair to recline smoothly and conveniently. Also, the firmness of the seat and sag-free, and comfortable sitting surface even after frequent usage.
- Stable and durable frame that stays fail-safe and sturdy, even during weight-shifts and twisting.
- The weight distribution of the frame to stay stable even on uneven ground and prevent wear and tear to the ground/tent floor by using sturdy plastic feet caps.
- The ability of the seat cover and frame to survive inclement weather.
Since you are looking for the best zero-gravity chair for outdoor use, you should focus on materials that have weather-resistant qualities. These materials could include the steel frame having a powder-coated surface, the joints, and bolds being painted with multiple layers of e-coating to prevent rusting.
The fabric sitting surface is made of meshed or solid PVC-coated polyester or nylon material (Textilene – the same fabric as used in outdoor fabric screens and umbrellas) with a UV and water-resistant coating.
The materials can then extend to the other features included, like the type of foam used for the head/backrest, the materials of the side table or cup holder, if the armrests are wooden or plastic, and the fabric used on a canopy.
Not all zero-gravity chairs will include all of these features, but you should make sure that if you are purchasing one which has these additional design features, these parts are also made with high-quality materials.
Most manufacturers provide product specs and other general product information, but to can know how durable and long-lasting their zero-gravity chair is in by looking at the Q&A section and customer reviews.
While all the options that we have listed are made of high-quality manufacturing materials, we found that our top picks – the Timber Ridge Zero-Gravity Patio Lounger Chair and the premium Lafuma LFM3118-8547 Futura Zero Gravity Recliner have the best build quality.
Design features and capacity
In addition to the building material, you should look at certain design features before picking the best zero-gravity chair for your needs. These design features can make your lounge time more versatile and comfortable.
One such design feature is the availability of a headrest. Most zero-gravity chairs come with a headrest of some kind, but not all of them are adjustable or removable. Many zero-gravity chair users enjoy a headrest that can double as lumbar support, so when they move to other positions, their back is continually supported.
You also need to look at the locking mechanisms and supports. Since the zero-gravity chair design is intended to be reclined with your feet elevated, it is more secure if you can lock the chair into that position. This also allows you to sit in a less severe reclining manner and upright position without quickly leaning back. Some locking systems are designed to function with a lever or a switch under the armrests. To see how well the locking systems work, we recommend checking out customer reviews to see if the locking mechanism is easily defeated.
Overall support of the chair will ultimately be determined by the materials used. However, the fabric of the chair will also need an attachment point. The most commonly used system for this is a bungee system. This system is useful because it has some give but does not sag, providing a comfortable surface to lay upon.
If you want versatile camping, patio, and beach chair, a sunshade and side table may be a necessity. Keep all these factors in mind before pulling the plug on the best zero-gravity chair for lounging on your patio, backyard, or during outdoor excursions.
Another thing to look at is the maximum supported weight listed for the chair. Any recliner chair with a weight capacity of less than 250 lbs. is just not viable for most adults. The best zero-gravity recliners have a rating of 300 – 350 lbs. while some extra-large models supporting up to 600 lbs. of weight.
Another design feature often seen on high-quality zero-gravity chairs is a removable side table or cup holder.
Moreover, if you live in a warm climate or often use your zero-gravity chair in the summer, you may want to look into finding a chair that comes equipped with a sunshade or canopy. While these are often built into the chair itself, you should be sure to check that the canopy can be removed or collapsed if needed.
All in all, the design features are highly personal and will be up to your preference and intended use, but you can look at the discussed design features before picking the best anti-gravity recliner for your needs.
Overall size and weight
When searching for the best zero-gravity chair for outdoor use versus just backyard or patio use, you will likely also be concerned about how easy it is to bring to the beach or car camping. Therefore, the overall size of the chair – the folded dimensions, open dimensions, clearance from the ground and its weight is also something to consider before picking the best zero-gravity recliner.
Most zero-gravity chairs on the market will fold down easily, but they are not all that light. This can be a difficult thing to balance with the durability of the product as well.
The overall size of the chair that you should opt for is dependent on the comfort level you seek and your body size – height, weight and build. You could be looking for a chair that everyone in your life can use so that you may opt for an XL versus a standard size. This may add a bit more weight, but it will usually mean the chair is sturdier, more comfortable, and therefore can last for a long time and more people can use it.
All the options that we listed support adults up to 6-6.5 feet tall and weighing from 250 pounds up to 500+ pounds. A bunch of options that we have listed, including our top picks – the Timber Ridge Zero-Gravity Patio Lounger Chair and the Caravan Sports Infinity Zero-Gravity Chair is also available in multiple sizes, so you can pick one that is most suitable for you.
If you plan to use your zero-gravity chair for both camping trips and backyard lounging, then you will want to consider the size of the chair for your yard space as well.
If you have a large patio, then the folding and open sizes of the chair may not matter, but if you are trying to fit a large chair in a crowded yard or carry in a car during an outdoor camping trip, it can become a more important factor.
To summarize, check the overall dimensions of the zero-gravity recliner – the packing dimensions, the open dimensions, and the weight of the chair before picking the best zero-gravity chair for your needs. The product details, Q&A section, and reviews are a good place for this information.
Packing size and portability
Closely related to the overall size and weight of the chair is its packing size and portability. It is important to pick a zero-gravity chair that packs to a size small enough to fit in the car’s trunk (and if not trunk at least in the backseat) and comes with a carry bag for easy storage and transportation.
The best zero-gravity recliners are ones that collapse easily and pack small to be carried in an included carrying case. We have indicated the folded size of all the options that we have listed to give you an idea of the packing size you would need to account for.
Along with the packing size, it is important to pick a model that is easy to take down and fold without the need for any special tools or techniques. All the options that we have listed, especially our top picks are extremely easy to collapse. Of course, the chairs with canopies would require a slightly more effort to fold down, so keep that in mind before picking the best zero-gravity chair for your needs.
Check out the overall size (both open and packed), and portability of the chair before pulling the plug on a specific model.
Style and Looks
Along with how the size of the chair fits in the space, there is the look of the chair is also something to consider. While this may not matter if you are strictly in search of comfort, but if you plan to have it as a feature backyard furniture piece, the way it looks is extremely important.
Some chairs come with gaudily printed fabric, and while that may be preferred by some customers, others may want a plain or camouflage pattern. The style and way it looks will be a very personal choice for most buyers.
Most of the options we have listed are available in a wide range of vibrant color combinations, so you can pick one as per your preference.
Additional factors and miscellaneous considerations
In addition to the major factors discussed above, there are some other miscellaneous considerations that can make a particular zero-gravity chair a preferable choice over other options.
One such consideration is the availability of accessories such as cup or bottle holders and/or storage tray. The availability of replacement parts such as stabilizing feet or caps, canopies, and seat covers is also something worth checking out.
Ease of cleaning and maintenance is also something worth looking out for.
Finally, one of the most important additional consideration is the warranty and after-sales support offered on the chair by the manufacturer. The general rule of thumb is that longer the warranty period, the more reliable and durable the chair would be.
Most of the options that we listed are backed by some sort of warranty – ranging from 60-days up to one or two years, so you can use these chairs for a long time without worrying about their durability and reliability. However, most warranties for zero-gravity chairs strictly cover manufacturer defects, not weather-related issues such as rust or damage to the fabric.
Also, make sure that you always purchase the chair from an authorized reseller and get the product registered if it is required.
You can look at all these features to determine if they make a specific zero-gravity chair a better choice over others.
Final thoughts on the best zero-gravity chairs for camping and outdoors
Whether you are camping, relaxing on a beach, or simply enjoying the sunset on a patio, a recliner is the right type of furniture to relax on. Zero-gravity chairs are a perfect choice for this purpose.
However, picking the best zero-gravity chair or recliner is often a challenge. That’s why we took the time to give you insights into the best zero-gravity chairs and recliners on the market today. We discussed the key features to look out before picking the best zero-gravity chair for camping and outdoors and also shared our top picks.
We hope that you found this article useful, and it would help you in picking the best zero-gravity chair or recliner for relaxing on your patio or during an outdoor trip. Do let us know your feedback by commenting below. Until next time, happy lounging!
Image credits: Amazon.com